Sunday 7 May 2017

We have arrived, and to prove it, we are here!


And by the way, we were upgraded to Business Class from Auckland to Singapore, but only when we got to the gate. But bliss to be able to lie down. It was about 11.45pm when we boarded so I eschewed the dinner (what, dinner at midnight!?) and the lovely stewardess made up my bed almost as soon as we had taken off. Of course, I didn’t eschew a glass of bubbly on boarding – of course not – that would have been ungrateful!
Sideways down the runway ...

I was very very tired - my eyes tell that story for sure!


Then back down to earth with a bump on the Singapore Air flight to London – Premium Economy. The seats are bigger than Economy with more space beside and in front, they recline more than those in Economy, but the meals are the same – you just get served sooner than Economy. But 14 hours was an eternity. And to think I used to be scathing of our B&B guests or others we met in the UK who would love to come to NZ but said they couldn’t bear the thought of the long flights. I really struggled on that flight – I did sleep but not for more than 50 minutes at a time – I know because I was awake to count down the hours one by one. And even though the seat was more comfortable than Economy, I still got very sore legs, knees and ankles.

So a decision has been made – it is Business Class from here on. Even David is prepared to do it. Being able to lie down is bliss.

When we were having breakfast in the hotel near Heathrow after a night lying down (and drinking tea at 3am), David declared that it was worth $1000 for each of the following:
·      Travelling down the runway sideways (see photo above)
·      Not having to climb over someone or be climbed over for toilet/walking-around-getting-the-circulation-going stops
·      Being able to put your feet up
·      Having hot toast with breakfast – Vogel’s, no less!
I said it was worth $1000 for each of the following:
·      Being able to lie down flat (that’s actually worth $4000 to me)
·      Getting hot tea in a warmed china mug (as opposed to lukewarm tea in a plastic cup)
·      Being looked after by 2 staff who only had 24 people to attend to
·      Not having to dodge urine drips and puddles on the floor around the toilets …

So here we are, on the boat – a good drive from LHR on Saturday to Debdale Wharf Marina, via the Co-op in Market Harborough for essential supplies – chardonnay, muscato, pizza, salad veges, salmon steaks, bread, butter, milk, choccie biscuits …

A bit of a sort out** just making sure the bed got made, the fridge was on, then pizza and wine, with Mel in his place at the table.
He has waited on the boat patiently for 18 months. He is happy we are back!

** I am the mistress of the understatement, as you will see – all will be revealed in the next post. Right now it’s 4.25am and I am going back to bed, to put my cold hands and feet on David – isn’t that part of the marriage contract? Are you sure that being a human hot water bottle isn’t in the vows somewhere? I am sure I said that was a requirement and he agreed. However it was nearly 43 years ago, so I could have forgotten, I suppose!
See the tui in the cabbage tree? He was there when we were getting ready to leave home on Thursday. He and his mates sing and croak and melodiously chatter very loudly around Waikanae - they are beautiful and great mimics and have been known to imitate the sound of people's cell phones ...



8 comments:

Carol said...

Welcome to you both - see you on the Thames. x

Jenny said...

Catch up on your sleep - then you will be ready for more adventures,
Robin and Jenny

NB Holderness said...

I can't believe it! I traveled UK to Singapore to UK every 6 weeks and I am twice your size! It is just mind over matter. I always got a window seat, and never moved! I left Singapore at 2300 and arrived home 1000 the next day. I left UK at 0600 and arrived on my ship at 1100 the next day. Okay so longs as you have nothing important to do for 24 hours! I hope the boat is okay and requires minimum resurrection. Welcome back to the UK. Tony and Helen.

NB Holderness said...

I can't believe it! I traveled UK to Singapore to UK every 6 weeks and I am twice your size! It is just mind over matter. I always got a window seat, and never moved! I left Singapore at 2300 and arrived home 1000 the next day. I left UK at 0600 and arrived on my ship at 1100 the next day. Okay so longs as you have nothing important to do for 24 hours! I hope the boat is okay and requires minimum resurrection. Welcome back to the UK. Tony and Helen.

Unknown said...

Hi Maz - I mis-judged when you were leaving by a week, silly me.
Love that you got to travel someway in comfort, very cool.
Would it be OK to take you up on your offer to stay at your place in Waikanae for a weekend in June? Would be a month from now (9th & 10th).
Let me know if still OK and how I can get the details of keys etc from you.
Love you
Melita xxx

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Ah but, Tony, you were in your 30s and 40s, and you have feet that reach the floor. You are twice my size with a bladder twice the size of mine too, I expect.
I am in my 60s (the latter half of them at that) and my feet are suspended in mid-air. That puts quite a stress on my hips and my knees as my thighs take the weight of my admittedly stumpy legs.
And I always used to do it and cope OK - I was always aching by the time I arrived here, but somehow my tolerance (or my body's tolerance and/or flexibility) has diminished. I am also less able to cope without sleep these days.
And, by the way, by the time we get to Singapore, we have already had a 10 hour flight from NZ whereas when you left or got to Singapore, that was the only journey.
And you are right, it is mind over matter - and I do mind and it does matter!
The boat is coming together slowly and we are looking forward to starting cruising tomorrow. I do hope we find you somewhere on the cut before too long!
Big hugs to you both, M&D

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Thanks, Carol, it is nice to be back. We are off to Gloucester first, and then heading for the Thames after that. It'll be a while as we are doing our best not to hurry! Mx

Marilyn, nb Waka Huia said...

Sleep is easy at the moment, Jenny and Robin, just not always at night! I went to bed at 4pm yesterday and woke briefly at about 10pm and back to sleep till 4am. So I am starting to come right!
M&Dxx